Welcome! My name is B. Rae.
I am a graduate student in Strategic Communications, a teaching assistant, and assistant coach of the Individual Events Speech Team at James Madison University.
The best way to get in touch with me is in person. If you’d like to get in touch with me electronically, the best way is through my e-mail: perrymbr AT jmu DOT edu.
I am currently accepting clients on a case-by-case basis. If you’d like to work together on your policy initiative, campaign, non-profit or small business strategy, branded or crisis communications, strategic online initiatives, editing/writing/ghostwriting, performance coaching, etc., please contact me at braedotcom AT gmail DOT com or via Signal.
My current research foci are meta-analysis of qualitative rigor, strategy and spyware, developing digital tools, and quantum concepts in applied communications. I am a member of the American Humor Studies Association & the American Society for Cybernetics.
In addition to my research, strategy, advocacy, and pedagogy courses at JMU, I recently completed two courses in Consumer Neuroscience & Neuromarketing.
Before grad school, I had a fulfilling and notable career in journalism, writing, policy, and advocacy. I accept limited clients and organizations for consulting work. My undergraduate work is in philosophy and political science from Baylor University.
Past highlights include:
- Executive Editor and Content Director for several newspapers (simultaneously), including the historic Cecil Whig, Newark Post, Avenue News, Susquehanna Press, and Dundalk Eagle
- Named one of Editor & Publisher Magazine’s Top 25 Under 35 (April 2020)
- Winner, 2019 MDDC Award for Breaking News
- 2nd Place, 2019 MDDC Award for Investigative Reporting
- Winner, New York News Publishers Association’s 2018 Feature Writing Award
- Copy Editor, Shore Monthly Magazine & Chesapeake Bay Weddings Magazine
- Honorable Mention, Maryland State Fair (2019, Photography)
- Contributor, Oswego County Brides Magazine
- Founder & Producer, HopeFest (harm reduction & recovery festival in upstate New York, 2018)
- Reporter & Director of Special Projects, The Palladium-Times & The Valley News (Sample Media)
- Winner, Best Hope Film at New Jersey Recovery Film Festival (2018) (Wrote, directed, produced, appeared in, filmed, edited, and performed music for a character-driven documentary on recovery and harm reduction)
- Contributor, Huffington Post
- Contributor, Alternet
- Contributor, The Writer’s Guide
- Development & Community Outreach Director, The Writer’s Center
- Legal & Environmental Features Writer, ScribeSpace
- Associate, Drug Policy Alliance
- Spokesmodel, I Am Not Anonymous Campaign
- Author, “Substance,” poetry & drug war pedagogy chapbook (2017)
- Heroes in Recovery
- Foundation Manager, AH&LEF
- Membership Coordinator, AH&LA
- Features Writer, Consumer Media Network (2012-13)
- Manager, ABC, LLC (2010-11)
- Columnist, FilmSchoolRejects (2009-10)
- Business Manager, The Nixon Center & The National Interest (2008-9)
- Associate, National Association for Gifted Children (2008) – Recipient, Shining Star Award for Professional Excellence
- Presenter, 3rd International Interdisciplinary Studies Conference: “Women’s Bodies, Women’s Stories: Use of the Narrative in Feminist Theory of the Body” (Italy, 2008 – with Ezra Cook)