Welcome! My name is B. Rae. I am currently a graduate student in Strategic Communications, an SCOM123 graduate teaching assistant, and assistant coach of the Individual Events Speech Team at James Madison University.
If you’d like to get in touch with me electronically, the best way is through my e-mail: perrymbr AT jmu DOT edu.
My graduate foci are developing, but generally I am interested in political communications strategies and the intersections of bleeding edge theory, technologies, and humanity. I am a student member of the American Humor Studies Association & the American Society for Cybernetics.
Before grad school, I had a fulfilling and notable career in journalism, writing, policy, and advocacy. My undergraduate work is in philosophy and political science from Baylor University.
Past highlights include:
- Executive Editor and Content Director for several newspapers (simultaneously), including the historic Cecil Whig, Newark Post, and Dundalk Eagle
- Named one of Editor & Publisher Magazine’s Top 25 Under 35 (April 2020)
- Winner, 2019 MDDC Award for Breaking News
- 2nd Place, 2019 MDDC Award for Investigative Reporting
- Winner, New York News Publishers Association’s 2018 Feature Writing Award
- Copy Editor, Shore Monthly Magazine & Chesapeake Bay Weddings Magazine
- Honorable Mention, Maryland State Fair (2019, Photography)
- Contributor, Oswego County Brides Magazine
- Founder & Producer, HopeFest (harm reduction & recovery festival in upstate New York, 2018)
- Reporter & Director of Special Projects, The Palladium-Times & The Valley News (Sample Media)
- Winner, Best Hope Film at New Jersey Recovery Film Festival (2018) (Wrote, directed, produced, appeared in, filmed, edited, and performed music for a character-driven documentary on recovery and harm reduction)
- Contributor, Huffington Post
- Contributor, Alternet
- Contributor, The Writer’s Guide
- Development & Community Outreach Director, The Writer’s Center
- Legal & Environmental Features Writer, ScribeSpace
- Associate, Drug Policy Alliance
- Spokesmodel, I Am Not Anonymous Campaign
- Author, “Substance,” poetry & drug war pedagogy chapbook (2017)
- Heroes in Recovery
- Foundation Manager, AH&LEF
- Membership Coordinator, AH&LA
- Features Writer, Consumer Media Network (2012-13)
- Manager, ABC, LLC (2010-11)
- Columnist, FilmSchoolRejects (2009-10)
- Business Manager, The Nixon Center & The National Interest (2008-9)
- Associate, National Association for Gifted Children (2008) – Recipient, Shining Star Award for Professional Excellence
- Presenter, 3rd International Interdisciplinary Studies Conference: “Women’s Bodies, Women’s Stories: Use of the Narrative in Feminist Theory of the Body” (Italy, 2008 – with Ezra Cook)